If your occupation equates to life on the road, especially long-hauls, it can be challenging from diet and sleep habits, to finding ways to live a healthy lifestyle mentally, physically and emotionally. Five valuable tips key to living a balanced life:
1. Make a concerted effort to eat more nutritious meals and snacks. They can make a difference to your energy levels and overall health. Try to avoid fast food as part of your staple diet. Don’t skip breakfast – it’s still considered the most nutritious meal of the day! When stopping for meals, try to order fresh items from the menu. Packing healthy snacks such as protein bars, fruit, veggies, consuming less refined sugars and drinking lots of water (will keep you hydrated and will make you feel better while on the road) are all key. Listen to your body’s cues for hunger and fullness and thirst.
2. Make sure to move your body! Sitting for hours can be hard on your health. No matter how tired from staring at the white line for hours at a time, creating a healthier routine for yourself will energize you. Simple exercise is important so go for a walk or a jog and even invest in a small pair of dumbbells to use while on the road. By engaging in these activities consistently they can help with both physical and mental health by improving circulation, strengthening muscles, and de-stressing your mind.
3. Get good restorative sleep. Keeping a regular sleep schedule can be difficult while on the road. Sleep deprivation can not only leave you cranky, groggy and listless, not being wide awake on the road can be a safety issue. Try to consistently get adequate sleep so that you’re well rested and energized while on the road. Your physical strength and mental alertness depend on the quantity and quality of your sleep.
4. Stay connected to family and friends. Long hours alone on the road can make you feel lonely and disconnected from family and friends and your regular routine. Fortunately, technology is helpful in keeping you connected. Cell phones and options like Facetime and Skype can keep you closer and in more frequent contact with loved ones by calling or messaging. Reaching out to those you’re closest with as often as possible will help to keep your relationships strong.
5. Keep your rig clean. Your vehicle is your home Continue reading →